If you’re planning fit and healthy travel after 50 in 2023, think about this possible scenario.
You go on vacation or a business trip, and there’s so much to do in so little time that your exercise routine falls through the cracks.
Between the sightseeing and the visiting and maybe the client meetings, you just “don’t have time” to exercise. Then you return home and find it difficult to get back on track.
Well, it’s a common problem. And, luckily, there’s a simple solution: Keep up your exercise while traveling! It’s easier than it sounds, and you’ll be glad you did – while you’re away and after you’re back home.
Now, we’re not talking about 100% maintenance. That might not be a priority for you, and it’s OK to dial it back sometimes, like when we’re on vacation or focusing intensely on business for a short, defined time period. (Remember, the aim is long-term consistency, not slavish devotion.)
But you need to move that body every day for healthy travel after 50 in 2023. If you’re on a hiking tour, then you’ve probably got it covered. But if you’re visiting family in another state, it might take a little effort.
Here’s how to make it easier without letting it dominate your trip.
Bring These for Healthy Travel after 50 in 2023
1. Versatile workout clothes. Gym shorts that double as swimming trunks. Yoga pants you can wear on tours. Workout shoes that also work for long days walking.
2. Resistance bands, TRX equipment, or a jump rope. These are lightweight, easy to pack, and versatile for in-room workouts if your hotel doesn’t have a decent fitness center or there isn’t one nearby.
3. A yoga mat for more in-room options.
4. A fitness tracker. It’s fun – and amazing – to see how many steps you get while on vacation! It’ll also keep your movement “top of mind” for those days when you’re not already walking a lot.
5. Massage devices like small foam rollers or portable massagers.
6. Swim goggles. Especially if you’re with kids, you might be getting wet!
7. Sunscreen, visor, bug dope, lip balm, hand sanitizer. Don’t let common frustrations like sunburn and mosquito bites keep you from enjoying your activities inside a gym and out of it.
8. Sleep mask and ear plugs. Different settings can bring different distractions from important rest.
9. Reusable water bottle that you can carry while sightseeing and while working out.
10. Your favorite healthy snacks. They might not be available where you’re going, and you don’t want to have to rely on vending machines.
11. Prescription medications and preferred over-the-counters so you stay on track.
12. First aid kit. Nothing major, but a basic set to keep you from running around a strange town looking for a drugstore in a minor emergency.
13. A journal. Record your physical activity, even if it’s just on your smart phone’s note-taking app. It might be hard to remember everything when you get home, and you don’t want to sell yourself short!
Are you in shape for healthy travel after 50 in 2023? If not, then that’s just one more reason to come see us. We’ll help you get the strength, endurance, flexibility and balance we all need when enjoying time away from home.